Thursday, June 17, 2010

The following photos are from a magazine I designed as part of a women's studies project in college.  It was just a fun project I put together in a short amount of time addressing flaws I found while going through many women's magazines.  I titled it YOU magazine because I wanted it to be about the reader and what the reader actually wants to read in a magazine.  The cover stories are all cutouts from actually covers to point out how ridiculously false the cover stories of women's magazines are. 
This section addresses Glamour's Do's and Don'ts section which suggests that all women must follow certain rules when venturing out in public.  Certain colors, shapes, articles of clothing must never be worn or else you will be publicly shamed for your ignorance.  Simply walking outside invites public humiliation.  I wanted to address this by simply posting images of real women, diverse and beautiful simply doing their own thing.


My next section was addressing how intimidating fashion magazines can be.  There is no fun in fashion anymore.  Editorials are far too serious.  Fashion should be something to play with and experiment with. 

This section addresses probably the most serious of problems with women's magazines today: the lack of color.  I cut out every picture of non-white women that I could and this is what I ended up with.  The second page was cut off being uploaded but I believe I only found two Asian while going through about 10-15 magazines.

Of course, objectification is a problem but women's magazines still have a very prominent "male gaze" which I addressed by including pictures of men.  Honestly, men could easily use women's magazines as porn with all the scantily clad ladies throughout them.  These men don't look objectified like the women in men's magazines, they are dressed casually, and are showcasing their personalities.

Of course, aging women are nonexistent in such magazines.  But there are helpful stories about surgeries and botox!

The last two pages are just fun things I put together.  There were probably five different articles I found about Michelle Obama's arms and zero about actually doing things.  Women in fashion magazines are inactive, little dress-up dolls meant to attract men and fail at dieting.

No comments:

Post a Comment